Tuesday, February 21, 2017

WIND!

I think today was the windiest day that I have ever gone for a run!  I was woken up this morning by horrible winds, and my first thought, was how am I going to be able to run in this today?  I knew I needed to at least get 4 miles in, but preferred to run at least 6 miles.  There is supposed to be snow later on this week, so want to get in my training miles for the Horsetooth Half. 

While cleaning horse stalls, I realized that this was definitely not going to be much fun, but I had two choices:  1) not go, and sit at home wishing I had gone anyway 2) go and deal with the wind sufferfest.  So, I got ready to go, and off we went.  The wind was horrible!  I really didn't even think that I was going to make it up the first hill, but I did.  The worst wind started when just going across that first Dam.  It was knock you over windy.  When trying to run, it would blow the up foot so hard, that it moved it over, and actually tried to trip yourself.  We moved onto the east side of the dam, because the wind wasn't as bad; but I had to stop and grab the guardrail as the dirt and wind pelleted me as we were just getting off the dam and starting the climb up the Monster Hill.  The hill climb was brutal, and finally I gave into a walk.  The wind was blowing us into the road.  When we got to the end of the guardrail at the top, we were able to run some until the last hill climb to the very top where we always take a picture.  We got the picture done, while I was bracing against the wind, and Tom was sitting down.  The wind was super strong at that point.

We were so glad to start heading back to the truck.  The wind was just as strong going back, as we were then running into it.  We got 4 miles in, and on a day like today, that was as good as it got.  I am so glad that we made the decision to run, even though it was tough.  Like I always say "you can't pick the weather on your race day", so you need to be prepared for anything. 

My skirt was flying in the wind at the top!

No comments:

Post a Comment