Monday, February 20, 2017

Horsetooth Half Training

This past weekend contained more Horsetooth Half training.  Saturday was there was a 4 mile run scheduled, and Sunday there was a 9 mile run group training run scheduled.  I really appreciate the training program that the Fort Collins Running Club, Running U provides for their members to train for this race.  It also makes a great kick-off race to get ready for the rest of the races this year.  Working up to the Half Marathon distance, and then doing the Half Marathon gets me ready for the rest of the race season. I can then maintain and increase my endurance for the other races we have scheduled.  I am not exactly sure of the race season schedule this year, but will plan on doing  four other Half Marathons this year (SkirtSports - June 4; Firsco; Black Squirrel; BackCountry), and two longer races (Dizzy Goat 12 hour, and Cunningham Lake).  The last couple of years we have done the Rocky Mountain National Park Vacation Races Half Marathon, but we will not be doing it this year, as it conflicts with our ERS race schedule.  Anyway, getting ready for the Horsetooth Half really prepares us for the rest of the year.

Saturday we decided to do a nice easy trail run in Lory State Park.  We usually don't go on the trails on the weekends, especially on good weather days - just too crowded.  Saturday was a beautiful day, and the trails were finally dry, so we couldn't resist.  We ran a slow 4 miles from Eltuck Bay to the south parking lot and back.  It felt so good to get on the trails.  The trails in the valley are so soft and rock free; just love to trail run.  I also ran into a friend of mine, Mary Lafferty from the VTH.  She was riding her horse, so good to see her. Riley enjoyed it as well, it was just what we needed.
South parking lot at Lory State Park

Sunday was a 9 mile training run from New Belgium to the bridge just before Overland trail (4.5 miles) and back.  Tom and I got started about 20 minutes early since I feel like I am so slow.  I didn't know how I would feel in the morning as far as my legs, hips and piriformis issues that have been going on.  I was a bit worried about this run, since we haven't run this distance since last November.  As it turned out, there was nothing to worry about.  I just went slow and steady (11:16/mile), stopping when Riley had to pee and poop, and it went well.  The worst part of this part of the Horsetooth Half course is between Overland Trail and Taft, it is 1.5 miles of just nothing; and we would have to run it twice.  This also went well, as the other runners caught up to us right after the turn around point, and there were plenty of people to say hello too (and of course pass us), so it kept my mind busy.  I didn't particularly feel fatigued or tired when we got done with the distance, so that was encouraging.  I also didn't feel too sore, again encouraging.  AND it was Riley's distance PR!  So proud of him, he loves running. I would really like to get him up to a Half Marathon distance this year.  I am sure he can do it.

After the run there was a presentation about Vertical and Horizontal running styles, how to run downhill, and some exercises for preventing injury.  A good program.  I also ate half of a donut as well. I usually don't eat donuts, but this year I have had the most I have eaten in about 10 years. Two and a half, so far.  I need to cut back, but it was really the only thing they had to eat, and I was hungry.  It was good to see Crissiann, and Stacey; who are also SkirtSport Ambassadors.  It's just so nice to meet such nice people, and I really appreciate the running community. 

It as a good weekend of running.  My body is sore in the hip area, but I continue to do the isometrics that Shara is having me do twice a day, and I think I am seeing some results.  I think this healing process is just going to be slow.  It is frustrating, but hoping I can get through it.  Only time will tell. In the meantime, I will continue to move forward with my life, and with my running adventures.

9 mile turn around point

Inside New Belgium with Riley

No comments:

Post a Comment