Thursday, February 2, 2017

Running on Thin Ice

Woke up this morning to everything covered ice, and a 3 -5 mile run on the schedule for the Horsetooth Half training from the Running U Club.  This club is designed to help with training for the Horsetooth Half for all the members of the Fort Collins Running Club; and I am a member of both.  The training they provide is amazing, and is organized by the Gnar Runners, who manage  the Horsetooth Half, which is put on by the Fort Collins Running Club.

At 4pm, the temperature had finally reached 21 degrees, and also felt like 21 degrees. We ran over by the Horsetooth Reservoir South Bay campground, which is across the street from where I live.  The dirt road over there was basically covered in snow and ice, but we got our 3 miles run.  My dog, Riley also went with us.  Believe me, you don't want to leave him home when you go running, or he will let you know he is mad.  He also has an unbelievable pout.  I won't take him if I am running on a road, therefore he gets left home in the winter more than we wants to be.   Riley runs about 1/3 of the miles that I do.  If you want to check out his mileage, as well as mine, check out the tab at the top of my blog for Monthly mile totals.

The run today was cold, icy, with a little wind.  Had to wear a jacket, and my gloves that I use in the barn, and MySoxyFeet knee high running socks; it wasn't so bad once I started running.  I also wore my new Brooks Adrenaline GTX, they are a little stiff, but good on the ice.  The reservoir was quiet, and beautiful with everything still covered in a layer of ice.

How many times in your life have you run on thin ice?  I am not talking about running here, just in life, waiting for the ice to crack as you run across it.  I know I spent several years doing this, and when the ice finally cracked, and I felt through, my life really began.  I thought I might not be able to swim in the water, I thought maybe I wouldn't be able to come back up to the surface.  But I did, I got back up to the surface, pulled my self up, and started to run. 

It's always a good day when you can go for a run.




No comments:

Post a Comment