Monday, March 6, 2017

From Good to Bad

Last Thursday was my last run for a while (of course at the time I didn't know that), and it was a good one!  We were supposed to run 5 miles for Horsetooth Half training; but I felt so good that I ran 6 miles.  I actually felt really good, and wanted to run more, but decided not too push that good feeling into a bad feeling.  My hips/back was a little painful, but overall, I felt great.  I had a couple of PR's on some of the sections up and down the Monster Hill, and felt really great about it.  The run was beautiful, the weather was perfect, and most importantly, no wind.  I also got some encouragement from someone at the top, a women said "great work up that ass-busting hill".  Wow, that made me feel even better. I can say that this was one of the most enjoyable runs I've made up the Monster Hill.

I wore the High Five Skirt Sport for the first time, and had no issues with it.  #skirtsports  I had to buy a medium in this skirt, as the skirt part in the small was a little tight.  I did notice that there wasn't as much compression in the shorts underneath that I normally would like, but other than that, it was great.
Top of the Monster Hill with my new High Five Skirt Sport Skirt and ERS shirt

The sign by the CSU stadium, no more football will be played here

The next evening I had a Hot Flash Hockey game in Denver, at the APEX area.  Of course I was looking forward to it, and was excited to play with my team.  This team is kind of rough, and we were prepared for them to have a grudge against us, since we beat them with a very short bench last time we played them.  The game went into overtime, and we won in sudden death.  We were winning at the beginning of the second period we were winning 1/0.  At one point I went for the puck and had it on my stick and somehow two girls from the other team came from behind and I got pushed down.  My knees came together in a "butterfly" position, and I felt a pop on my right knee.  I went to the bench, and a couple of the girls asked me if I was OK.  I said "no".  I got ice from a guy that was with us on the bench, and sat there with ice on my knee.  The game got tied up that period. 

During the period break, Karen, who is a Veterinarian looked at my knee, and said it was probably a Medial Carpal Ligament injury.  She told me to keep ice and compression on it.  I went into the locker room, and wrapped it with some Vetwrap for compression.  It did swell up, but not as bad as I thought it would.  It definitely hurt. 

I was able not to cry all the way home, but when I got home I started crying.  I cried off and on for  two days.  I couldn't believe that I am hurt and unable to run and play hockey. I have had so many injuries in the past 4 months, I couldn't believe I have another one.  This one I know would keep me from running.  I am mad at myself for playing hockey at all, because now I can't run.  But I love hockey as well.  I am devastated.   It hurts, I can't walk well, my knee is stiff.  I CAN'T RUN.  I CAN'T RUN. Running is my therapy, I don't know how I will get through this.   Somehow I have to be strong and make the healing start and get better so I can run.

I called an orthopedic physician, and have an appointment on Thursday morning.  Today I went to my gym class, knowing that I might not be able to workout much.  I couldn't do the running warm up but I did some of the mat warm up, and Joey changed my workout so that I could work out.  I did planks, and bridging, and the first half of a Turkish Get-up.  The second part of the workout, he also modified me so that I didn't do the squats.  I can't tell you how much I appreciate Joey.  I thought I was going to cry, but he was glad that I made the choice to come to the gym and do what I could.  It made the difference. I thought my knee might be more painful for workout, or swell up, so I went home and put ice on it.  It has not swell up, nor does it hurt more.  In fact, it hurts less.  I feel somewhat hopeful now.  Maybe it will just be a strain, which should take 1 -2 weeks for healing.  A tear will take four weeks, and a rupture will take six weeks - at least that what my research came up with.

I am going to try my best to stay positive, I can beat this (well, I hope). It there is no swelling tomorrow morning and it feels better, I will start doing some rehab exercises.  These exercises mostly keep the joint mobile and develop or keep strength in the quad.  It says you can do with some pain, but don't force.  So, here I am trying to fight another injury.  I know I am supposed to run, but maybe this might be the rest that I need.  Maybe the extra time I need to get other projects done.  I don't know.  What I do know, is that I have the Horsetooth Half to get ready for, and I hope I can get there.  I hope I don't fall into a pit of despair. I hope I quit crying.  That's all.

Monster Hill, I will be back . . . . . . .

Hot Flash Hockey Team

No comments:

Post a Comment