Saturday, April 29, 2017

Horsetooth Half: The Finish Line

It's almost been a week since I ran the Horsetooth Half.  I meant to blog that afternoon, but after icing my knee, and laying down for a short nap, it just didn't happened.  And then the week happened, so I never got it done.  Today we ran the first 10k in the Endurance Race Series, and I was going to blog about that, but I need to write about the Horsetooth Half first! 

The morning of the Horsetooth Half was beautiful!  Almost too beautiful!  The day before was cold, wet, rainy and snowing.  Tom had run the Running With Scissors Half Marathon at Adams County Fairgrounds in Brighton that morning as well (we had to get up at 3am to get there).  Tom took 2nd overall in the Half Marathon.  Anyway, there was no snow in sight for today, not like the last three years, so this was nice.  At the start line I got see some of my Skirt Sport Sisters (Crisann and Stacey), as well as my trainer, Joey.  Was I excited? Nervous?  Not so much.  I was just ready to get it done.  I needed to get it done.

So, it was time!  Off we all went, all 1600 of us runners.  I was near the back, which was where I stayed for the duration of the race.  I hadn't taken any anti-inflammatories that morning or the night before because the make me so groggy.  But, both of my knees were taped and I had my MCL brace on my right leg, and my support band on my left leg.  I chugged up the first hill, crossed the dam, and chugged up the Monster Hill.  At the top of the Monster Hill I realized that I had gotten up there the fastest that I had since my injury!  I went up that hill smiling, I was running the Horsetooth Half, and today that was what mattered.  Over the next dam, up the Baby Monster Hill.  Doing well.  I had to walk down the steep hill after the Baby Monster, its just too steep for my MCL injury; and I promised my Doctor that I would walk down the hills.  It was very frustrating to see all the people run by me that I had passed on the hills, but today it was just the way it was.  The long road and turn to Bingham Hill is always treacherous (can't explain it, but if you run this course, you know what I mean).  I chugged up Bingham hill, and then Baby Bingham, suddenly I was at Lions Park, about 20 minutes faster then I predicted!  I was pretty happy with my pace, even though it was slow.

The miles after Lions Park (8.5 miles) are what I call the Easy/Hard miles.  Why?  Because you are now done with most of the hills, (except for the two really short, awful hill right before the finish line), and now it's basically a slight down hill route from here to the finish line.  But they are just hard, you have nothing to concentrate on, except for getting to the finish line.  This portion of the route is along the Poudre Trail. I have gotten used to this part of the trail, and it's not as bad as it used to be .  . . . but they are the Easy/Hard miles.  I felt good until about mile 10.5 when my MCL started being somewhat painful; then at mile 11.25 I was getting tired.  I hadn't been able to train enough past this mileage, so it was kind of expected - but I wanted it to be better.  I had to walk a little about every half mile after that.  So frustrating!  Looking back, I don't think I took in enough nutrition, so that might have added to my slower, tired pace - something to note for the next Half.  Maybe go back to Tailwind in my hydration pack, as I was keeping up on my hydration; and it is hydration and nutrition together.

There is an Aide Station at mile 12.2, only ONE more mile to go!  I was ready to be done, but at this point I almost started to cry.  I was going to make it!  I continued to struggle to the Finish Line, and somehow (as usual) got up those two small hills. When the Poudre Trail comes to Linden Street, you take a sharp left-hand turn, and guess what is there!  THE FINISH LINE!  It is about 0.20 miles from you at this point.  I started to run with whatever I had left.  I started to feel kind of weird at that point, can't explain it.  Like I was tired, like I was excited, like I might start crying; just weird, so I slowed down a little.  Then I ran across the finish line.  I was done.  I got my medal, and my pint glass. 

Wow.  It was done.  I did it.  It started with miles of training, then my MCL injury, then to walking, then the fight back to running.  Lots and lots of miles, I think about 155 miles (maybe more) to get to the finish line.  All the struggling, tears, smiles, and miles.  Here I was, at the Finish Line.  I think I won't forget this race for a while.  It was a milestone, but not a regular one, since I have done this race twice before, but a special milestone.  I tried to never give up, but some days it was hard.  I tried to keep my spirits up, but some days it was hard.  Tom never gave up on me, even the times I was ready to give up.  Inside, I never gave up on my goal.  The Finish Line.  However, the Finish Line at the Horsetooth Half is a goal, but a temporary one.  There is always the next goal.  It's good to have another goal on the horizon.  Never Give Up on Your Goals.

Tom and I waited to congratulate other runners/friends that came through the finish line after and before us; then into the food line.  Then, we saw our trainer, Joey again; and saw our neighbor get his trophy for first in his age group.  At that point, it was time to go get our McDonald's coke 😀 Our reward, and we usually talk about our run.  I was frustrated about my time, it was about 17 minutes slower then last year, but about 17 minutes faster then I thought I could do it.  Happy and frustrated, but in the end more happy.

Now to quickly review this race, the Horsetooth Half:  The RD is great, and the race is very well organized.  Started on time.  The packet pick-up the day before was very well organized.  The food at the end is good (but not to my liking, except they had rolls from The Great Harvest Company).  I can't drink beer, so well, I can't have any of the great New Belgium Beer. The RD, Nick is amazing. I can't say enough about him.  He was present everywhere during this race.  I saw him at the beginning, and at the end of the race.  He made all the announcements at the end.  He also organizes lots of training runs (every weekend for 14? weeks before the race.  He wants everyone to succeed.  He provides mini lectures for running on hills, and down hills, and how to keep your body strengthened for this race.  Very impressive.  Would I recommend this race?  YES!  This is the third time I have run it, and I will run it again next year.  It is not a race for a beginner unless to put the miles in to train.  You can do any race, as long as you train for it.  This race gives your the opportunity to train.  The hills are big, and so are the rewards for competition. This is a MUST DO race for all runners.  DO IT! 


Crisann, Stacey and I at start                               Tom, Joey and I at start

Headed to the start line                                               Made the local paper going up Monster Hill






Me at the Finish Line and with my Medal

#MySoxyFeet and icing after






No comments:

Post a Comment