Friday, May 5, 2017

Endurance Race Series Westminster 10k

After the Horsetooth Half, it was time to see what kind of toll my knee took, but it was also time to get ready for the first ERS race on April 30th.  All week long we watched the weather, hoping that the weather for Saturday would change.  But it did not, Friday afternoon and into the night it snowed, as well as into race morning.  Not much you can do about the weather.  You just have to make a choice whether you want to run or not run.  If you do decide to run in bad weather, you need to make wise choices about the gear you are going to wear.   Runners like to say "there is never bad weather, just bad gear", or something like that.  You get what I mean.

Race day morning was wet, snowy and cold.  I chose to wear my UA long tights with my GGU Skirt Sports Skirt over those for extra coverage.  I had my long sleeve Westminster ERS shirt on from last year (not that anyone even saw it), my Mizuno jacket and my Asics rain jacket over the top of that.  I had my ERS beanie on, as well as gloves with hand warmers inside.  Believe me, I stayed warm enough the whole race.  Tom and I met Linda and Stacy at the Front Range Community School, and we headed off in the snow.  The roads were just wet and got slushy when we got closer to Denver.  The weather was worse in Denver, but that didn't stop us from doing the race.

Stacy was doing the 5k (because she had knee issues), and Linda was walking the 10k; so both of them started shortly after we arrived at the race start.  Tom and I waited until the 10k officially began to start. Before the race began we were able to talk to a bunch of our ERS friends that we don't see much over the winter.  A few of them had attended one or two of the training runs, but others we hadn't seen since last year. The race started on time.  It continued to snow, and the wind picked up a little.  This course starts on a paved bike path, so there was really no problems with the first part of the course, it was just wet.  About mile 2 the course starts around a couple of ponds, and that area was very muddy.  Unfortunately,  because I was afraid I would slip and strain my MCL injury, I had to walk a lot of this part.  I didn't want to slip in the mud.  The rest of the course is on pebbled gravel, so the footing was great.  We turned around at mile 3.1 and headed back the way we came.  I hardly noticed the weather once we got started.  I dressed well, and actually too well.  Had to shed my beanie and my gloves while running, got too warm!  It was 24 degrees at the start, and I don't think much warmer then that when we finished.  We saw both Linda and Stacy on the way out, so they were doing well.

When the finish line finally appeared, I was ready for it!  This was the fastest that I had run since my MCL injury, and I was getting tired.  My knee was having a little bit of pain, but not too much.  I was just tired from bumping up my pace a little. It was good to be able to run faster, but it also caused me to get tired.  At the finish line we took pictures, and then went to find Linda and Stacy, who were both in the truck trying to stay out of the weather. We got a little bit to eat, waited for the  placings to be announced, and we left.  It was just so wet and cold, that staying outside for a long period of time wasn't really something you wanted to do.  I felt bad for the volunteers, Jeff and Denise. 

So, the first ERS race of the season was over, only 9 more to go!  Not that I am counting already! This course is relatively flat with some rolling hills, and normally has good views of the mountains to the west.  It is a good trail to start out the season because it is more of a beginners trail, and gives people a good start for the year.  It's pretty much 6.2 miles of mildly rolling hills.  I do enjoy this course, but if I had to run it over and over again, I would get mentally bored.  The ponds put a change into the course, and make it more interesting.  Last year we didn't go around them, and that was disappointing.  Would I recommend this race?  Of course!  It started on time, and is well run.  They made a few mistakes on the placings, which seem to happen when they let people start early.  The volunteers we all great, especially to stay out in the weather.  All the volunteers get to do another race for free, so a pretty good deal for them.  As said earlier, it is great race for first time trail runners, and it is close by if you live in Denver.

Tomorrow is the Greenland 8 Mile trail race, and the weather looks like it will be good, and probably hot.  The area got a lot of snow the day of Westminster, so there will be some mud and snow on the trails still.  This will be my first real trail race since my MCL injury, so I am a little anxious about it.  I also haven't had that great of a week of running.  All my miles have been really slow. Tuesday we did a lot of hills (Lions Park to the west over Bingham Hill and then after the Lory State Park turn off another mile - and back).  Thursday I was just terribly slow.  My body felt sore and tired.  I hope that I don't feel this way tomorrow.  I really want to enjoy this race.  Donna will be there, and last year it was a blizzard, so we will actually get to see the trail this year.

What to take away from the Westminster Race?  That you can run in bad weather, just get the right gear.  That I have improved with my MCL injury, and I am moving forward. 

Getting ready to start

Mud around ponds (Tom)

During the race


Me and MySoxyFeet at the finish line
Me, Tom, Stacy and Linda


Erika and I at finish (ERS Ambassador & friend)


No comments:

Post a Comment