Thursday, May 18, 2017

Greenland 8 M Trail Race

It's been 8 days since the Greenland 8M Trail Race, and I finally finished my other list of things to get done, so it's time to write about this race.

The Greenland 8M was really what I would call my first real trail race since my MCL injury.  And if you read me blog (which you much be incredibly board if you do), you would realize that before this, I really haven't been allowed to run on trails.  The Thursday before this Saturday race, I had a doctors appointment, and Dr. Servi thought my healing was moving along well, so she OK'd me to run this race.  She also said that I am moving in the right direction for healing, and my mobility is still excellent, but my leg is still not straightening.  This may be causing some of me issues, and if I cannot get it to straighten, in 4 weeks she suggests a cortisone injection.  At this point, I am also considering having my knee joints injected as well.  She also said that I might be experiencing more and prolonged pain then a "normal, non-active" person might be because I am active.  However, she also said its healing better then a "normal, non-active" person.  So, it is a toss up.  I will continue as I am.  I have another Half of June 4th, so I am moving toward that.

The Greenland Open Space is about 2 hours from my house, and it started it 8am, so we had to leave at 5am, if we wanted to get there in plenty of time to park, check-in, and get ready.  We really didn't leave on time, as MAPS said it was only 1:45 mins away, and it was really 2 hours.  But, we did get there in plenty of time to get done what we needed.  We were also meeting our running friend, Donna there, it was the first time we had seen her since the October last year.  I think the first issue was that I was stressed over the fact I thought we might be late, and I didn't hydrate well.  I wasn't really worried about the race, but I had some concerns the trail and the down hills.  Last year there was a blizzard during this race, and 8" of snow on the ground, so I wasn't exactly sure what the trail would be like.  However, we had been on the west side of the area for the ERS Palmer Lake 10k, so I figured the trails would be Ok for me to run on.

The race started, and the first 4.5 miles are mostly uphill, with a few downhill sections, only to make up by going up hill more.  The first thing that I noticed was the first portion, which is a two track road had a lot of sand on it.  I felt like I was struggling in the sand with my MCL leg, and having difficulty with the footing.  I also saw Donna move ahead of me quite quickly, and I found myself getting frustrated with my injury and my slow speed, and I just couldn't go any faster.  I keep thinking I should be better then this because I had just completed the Horsetooth Half with all the hills.  Then I started to get warm, and my knees with the braces on them were getting warm, and there was sweat under them.  I started to feel like I couldn't get my stride, and the harder I tried, the worse it got.  I was so glad when I finally made it to the cemetery, thinking it was the top, but it was not!  How could I forget that!  There was about .75 miles of more hill climbs.  Everyone was passing me, and I felt like I was the last person.  I got hotter, and more miserable.  The long down hill was getting tough on my MCL leg as well.  At mile 6 I was completely frustrated, wanted to sit down on the trail and cry.  I wanted to quit.

I wanted to quit.  It was in about the same spot that Tom was running last year and a guy stopped in front of him and announced to Tom and the rest of the world that he "was done". So, what are you going to do?  Is someone going to come and get you?  No.  You have no choice but to just keep moving forward.  So, that is what I did.  I know it wasn't pretty, and I must have looked in total distress.  I was just so hot and miserable.  There is not shade on this trail, it was the hottest day of the year, about 80 degrees, and as you recall, it snowed just last weekend.  Along the last 2 miles of the trail I got to say hello to two friends that I didn't even know they were there.  One was LeeAnn, a FB friend that I have never met, until this race.  She saw me (I didn't recognize her) while she was headed out on her second loop of the 25K, and said hello!  The next person I saw was a 68 year old women, Francios who I met at the Copper Mountain ERS Trail Running Festival about 3 years ago.  She has moved to Fort Collins, so we see her running and biking along the trails quite a bit.  However, we didn't know she was running the Greenland 25k as well.  Anyway, it helped me to see these other runners that I know, and inspired me to just get to the Finish Line.  I kept moving forward, sometimes running, sometimes walking. 

Even though the last 2 miles were tough for me, I eventually got to the Finish Line!  It felt so good to get there.  I must have looked really tired and hot, and I felt that way as well.  I went straight to the shelter for shade and sat down.  My legs were not tired, I was not physically tired, I was just hot and mentally tired.  After I sat for a while, I started to feel so much better.  The heat is so tough for me, hopefully some day I will find a solution.  Donna, Tom and I stayed around to talk and eat the finish line food, and to take a few pictures.


 On the way home, I looked at my race time from last year, and compared the two times.  I don't have the information in front of me at the moment, but I was about the same time I was last year in the 8" of snow and blizzard as I was with an MCL injury.  I thought that was OK, but a part of me still wanted to be better then I was in the snow.  Donna was 10 minutes faster, and I wanted to be faster as well.  I don't know when I will start giving myself a break for being injured.  There are so many things going on that should tell me that my time was OK:  1) I have an MCL grade 2 tear, and I am trying to heal while being active.  2) I wasn't able to run for over two weeks, so I lost 2 - 3 weeks of training/running 3) I am in pain.  All the time  4) this was my first real trail race since my injury, and I just go OK'd to run trail 2 days before the race.  5) This was only my 4th distance over 7 miles since I got injured (13, 11, 9.25  miles )   But yet, I can't find it within myself to over think the race, and wish I could be better.  This happens every race I do. I am definitely always beating myself up, and I wish I could just run my race, look at previous times to compare, think about the differences and work on whatever I believe is the cause for slower times. 

My friend Erika always says that if you cross the finish line you are a winner.  That's what counts, getting across the finish line, and enjoying the journey. 

So, my next race was supposed to be the ERS Palmer Lake 10k, but we had a huge storm today (this is getting posted about 4 days after I wrote it - for some reason it didn't publish, and some of the blog posting was deleted).  Palmer Lake got 15" of snow today before noon!  We also have snow, rain and wind today; a much needed rest day.  After talking to the town of Palmer Lake, and the Open Space, it was determined to cancel the race for safety reasons, as well as not to cause damage to the trails.  It will be rescheduled on August 20th. Now waiting to find out if the Crazy Legs race will be cancelled that is scheduled for Sunday. In the meantime, I will keep Running Forward.


 



No comments:

Post a Comment