Friday, April 21, 2017

Getting There: The Long Road to the Horsetooth Half

Here it is, 2 days before the Horsetooth Half.  Its finally getting close enough to get anxious about it.  I keep wondering if I will finish, and how long it will take me.  Actually, unless something bad happens, I KNOW I can finish.  I am determined to finish.  I've done the best training I could do with the circumstances that were given to me.  I honestly don't think I could have done much better with the training.  It's been a long slow road to recovery, and I am still 3 - 4 weeks away to 100% recovery.   

So, how did I get to where I am today?  It's been slow.  On March 2nd, I had done a 6.5 mile run from Maxwell to the 3 mile point on the HTH course, and back.  I remember feeling great.  The weekend before we had done 8.5 miles on the HTH with the Running U club, and we were only scheduled to run 7 miles that day.  I felt ahead of my training, and I was happy with it.  The next night, March 3rd, I got shoved down in an ice hockey game and my knees came together and I felt a pop on my right knee.  I know it couldn't be good, so I skated to the bench, and got some ice on my knee and never went back out.  I put a wrap on it, and thought I was going to cry.  Not because of the pain, because I just KNEW, and I started to get angry because I knew this was going to affect my running for a long time.  But, there is no crying in hockey, so I sucked it up until I got home.  I kept icing it and put a compression wrap on it, and kept it up on a pillow, and tried to rest it as much as possible, as well as take lots of ibuprophen.

I was able to get an appointment with an orthopedic doctor, Dr. Servi at The Northern Colorado Orthopedic Center the next Thursday.  During the wait for the appointment, I looked up on line what is might possibly be, which all pointed to an MCL injury.  I was happy to read that most didn't require surgery, so I was hoping I was correct.  I started to do the physical therapy exercises that I found on another orthopedic site.  Mostly, I needed to rehab my Quad, which sounds strange, but I really had trouble picking up my leg and moving forward, so it was the Quad that need rehab.  I worked on strength and mobility.  I also went to the gym.  I wanted to not go to the gym so bad, it was so hard to go that first day, I wanted to cry.  It was horrible, but I refused to sit back and do nothing. I could still use my arms, core, and I had another leg.  At the appointment, a 2nd degree MCL tear was diagnosed.  No need for surgery or an MRI, just ice, anti-inflammatories, ice, rest, and a brace (my "ball and chain').  She also was impressed with my mobility and strength in my leg.  She told me that it was possible to still do the HTH, but in a much slower time.  She also said I need to keep going to the gym, no weighted exercises, no squats or lunges. Also, the brace had to be worn 24/7.  She also told me I could start walking, and as soon as the swelling was under control, I could start running.  I was so thrilled about that.  So, what did I do?  Started walking, that's what.

No, it wasn't easy, both physically and mentally.   That Saturday I walked 2.59 miles, 24:18 miles/min. The next HTH training run was from New Belgium to 5 miles and back.  Of course, there was no way for me to run 10 miles, so I started walking with my friend Stacy.  When Tom got to the 5 mile mark, he texted me, and I turned around.  That day I walked 4.15 miles instead of 10 miles, 19:08 miles/min.  For the next week, I walked every singe day.  I went from  24 mins/mile to 16:42mins/mile that week.

On March 18th, we were to host the first Endurance Race Training run in Longmont, I knew I couldn't run much, so I was a little frustrated because I was supposed to be a host and a runner.  There were 2 other people that showed up that were also injured, so I ended up being able to help them and keep them on track.  The cool thing was that, I actually run a small amount.  Downhill's hurt the most, up hills, not so much.  That day I walk/ran 3.6 miles at a 16:02min/mile pace.  Not bad.  So, I continued.  When there was a group training run, I walked; ran when I could while everyone else ran.  That's how it was.  But I was able to increase my mileage, so I was still getting some distance in, and I was happy about that.  Did it hurt?  Yes.  And when I was done, I had to lay in bed with my knees on a pillow and ice, and ice. That's what I did every day.  Ran or exercised, then iced.  Marche 23rd was my first attempt at the Monster Hill.  The  up hills went well, the down hills were really tough.  But 17:59 miles/min was OK.  The next day my other knee really started bothering me, so I had to start wearing a support on that knee as well.  The Dr. said it was OK, but I am sure it has some damage.  So, I looked like I had two flat tires at this point, which I pretty much did, and still do.

March 26th was a 12 mile training run from New Belgium, I got in 9.21 miles at 13:40m/m.  The last two miles were tough, but I got it done.  I was happy to be there.  After that, I just slowly kept getting faster, some days were good some days were tougher.  I went back to the doctor on April 6th, that morning I ran 7.60 miles at 12:40 m/m.  The appointment went well.  She was again impressed with my mobility and strengthening.  The worst thing has been the pain, especially at night, and that I scuff my right foot, especially when I get tired.  She addressed the pain, and not sleeping with an anti-inflammatory Volteren, and I also asked for the topical, which I had used on my hands during the worst of my Carpal Tunnel.  This helped me tremendously!  I could sleep at night finally, and it mad the running less painful.  I was so grateful.  The problem was that it made me really groggy.  So, when I ran, most days I felt like I was running through a pool of jello. 

On April 13th I did my last hill HTH hill run from Lyons park over Bigham hill to the Lory State Park turn off and back.  It was tough. but I got it done.  The next day was another 6 mile run with the ERS group, the fourth Endurance Race training run I had participated in.  These were all Ambassador lead runs.  My miles/min average between 11:40 - 13:40 m/m, but better all the time, better than they were.






So, here it is, 2 days before the Horsetooth Half.  Worried? Yes.  Excited?  Maybe.  Determined?  Yes.  I will get there.  This may be the hardest Half I have ever done, but I think I am up for the challenge.  I have to be.  It's going to be just one step moving forward at a time, keeping focus on how my knees and the rest of my body is doing.  Walk the down hills, walk when I am tired.  Realize that there are other people on the course that are also injured.  I have done this race twice before.  I will get there.  Just keep moving forward.



No comments:

Post a Comment